Wednesday 1 May 2019

Day 31- Prompt : Rework an old poem

Drunk again
I drink until I can see myself, unreflected through the bottom of the bottle,
Foot on the pedal, and the pedal to the floor, caining it at full throttle,
Alcohol between new friends becomes the balm that seals,
Unknowns into best mates, at least that's how it feels,
Blanketed warmth that covets and soothes,
Around the sharp edges and deep down in the grooves,
A confident arrogance, a not giving a flying fuck,
Making friends out of enemies is always pushing your luck,
For whiskey neat, no word of a lie, even now still makes me wince,
That Christmas we broke in, drank them dry, I haven't been back since,
Getting emotional; teary-eyed or angry, victim or perpetrator, saint or sinner,
So lets just go get a round of drinks -not everyone can be a winner,
Find another enabler to accompany you on this ; for 'hell hath no fury like a drunk that's been wrong'
I'd never admit it, and I won't know the name but I'll know all the words to the very next song,
When you only popped in to have a quick half at the bar,
But are now 2 sheets to the wind with friends near and far,
Funny bar chats, dancing, playing pool, what a night was had by all,
Drunk again, spinning yarns, laughing hard, having a ball,
Until the morning, fuzzy headed, unrecognizable from the fall,


who now are you going to call?



Prompt:
https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-28

No comments:

Post a Comment